• February 20Panoramic Pictures are in,if you purchased a copy Please stop by the Activities office and pick it up.

• February 20 If you are interested in applying for Student Council for next year, please come to an informational meeting on Thursday, February 28 @ 1:20pm in room 1107.

• February 20Track practice officially starts next Monday, February 25 at 1:40 pm. You must have your RegisterMyAthlete complete to be able to participate. Please see Coach Dinkel in room 1321 if you have any questions.

• February 20Nominations are currently open to be a speaker at graduation. To nominate a fellow graduate or yourself (hey, we aren't judging), use the QR code found outside of all government and english classes, as well as outside room 1103. Nominations will stay open until the end of the week.

• February 20Volleyball boys are having workouts during the week after school. Tryouts are Saturday and Monday, Feb 23rd & 25th. For more information, see Coach Porter, room 1009.

The Oakster

Alarae' Malone, writer

Do you think finding out about your teacher is interesting?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...
Mr. Russell Oakes is a well known English 12 teacher at Desert Oasis High School. He is entering his second year as a Diamondback and recalls his first thoughts when he came to this school were

“It is a large school,” Oakes said.

Oakes was afraid that he wouldn’t fit in with the crowd. He just wanted to feel like he belonged here.

“I want to give my personal best to each and every one of my students,” said by Oakes.

Trying to make teaching  stick with students beyond high school can sometimes be challenging, but Oakes has always had a plan for that.

“I’ll make sure students think critically, and don’t think they can just wing the school year away,” Oakes said. “Getting decent grades requires hard work, you have to work for where you want to be at. Teachers may give grades, but students earn those grade based on their performance.”

“What is it like“ teaching seniors? Teaching seniors can be hard for staff sometimes . Some seniors think they know it all , but in reality they still need guidance. Class of 2019 will soon be entering their adult lives for good. Where they end up is totally up to them . Teachers can only hope that what they teach will forever have an impact. Students have to take control of their lives.

” I like seniors , I get them and they get me.” We have an understanding of expectations, and goals. They’re young adults so they should act like it and get along with their peers in class. “Most students want a happy teacher, so as long as they do what they are suppose to do I’ll be happy”. I can tell that 2018-2019 will be an excellent and mesmerizing school year.

About the Writer
Alarae' Malone, Writer

Hello peps , My name is Alarae' Malone . I am a senior , so this will be my last year in journalism. I have always  enjoyed writing...

2 Comments

2 Responses to “The Oakster”

1. Dylan on September 26th, 2018 8:41 am

I really like the article and Mr. Oakes is an amazing teacher and i’m glad that someone can spread his charm.

2. Alarae' Malone on September 26th, 2018 11:41 am

Thank you , he is indeed a very amazing teacher.

• The Oakster

Art & Entertainment

Thats the Way the Cookie Crumbls

• The Oakster

News

The Election of the Student Body President

• The Oakster

News

Oh School Musical, How Can I Resist You?

• The Oakster

News

A Decade of Diamondbacks

• The Oakster

No Left Turns

The Big Lie

• The Oakster

3 Stories You Should Know

3 Stories You Should Know: Week of 2/11-2/15

• The Oakster

School

On the Way to Playoffs

• The Oakster

Art & Entertainment

Movies That Your Parents Loved That You’ve Never Watched Before

• The Oakster

News

Hold Up, Hollister

• The Oakster

3 Stories You Should Know

3 Stories Should Know: Week of 2/4-2/8

The Oakster