Filed under Features

How Tattoos Have Reflected a Young Teen’s Life

Do you think tattoos should have meanings behind them?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...
Behind every student lies a story that follows them. Some stories flow deep within people and don’t prevail to the surface of society, while others are vividly portrayed in more courageous ways. Tattoos are one of the many ways to explicitly show one’s interests and personality. Senior, Ahn Tong, considers her five tattoos’ as symbols of her life and how she chooses to live everyday.

“The first tattoo I got was on my 17th birthday, and it’s the date of my mom’s birthday in roman numerals,” said Tong. She recalls her trembling emotions upon approaching the tattoo shop in downtown Las Vegas. Fears of how painful the needle might be and what the final product would look like were encrypted into her mind . In order to put her thoughts to ease, she glanced towards her mother in the driver’s seat and remembered why she was so impatient to wait until 18 for this moment. 

When the needle first pierced its way into her clear, delicate skin she reminisces on it “not being that bad of a feeling.” Weeks before, she watched many videos on others going through the same experience and having various outcomes. “It’s similar to watching a movie that people claim to be the greatest of the century when in reality it’s the same mediocre storyline that ends up winning an oscar.” said Tong. After breezing through her first tattoo, she knew more was soon to come.

“Over the summer, when I traveled to Vietnam, I wanted to get more tattoos from my home country,” commented Tong. Her second marking was an old photo of herself and her brothers sitting on the floor of a church on Christmas day. She wanted this particular photograph on her arm because of the ecstatic memories of her family celebrating the annual holiday. 

Tong’s next tattoo she acquired while still in Vietnam, was a bible verse from Corinthians 16:14 that read “Let all that you do be done in love.” Her faith in Catholicism is strong within her family and wanted to remember “my faith will always be a part of me.” Growing up in a Catholic home has accompanied her to become a stronger person in everything that she has done. For this reason she later on got the word “blessed” in bold print behind her lower tricep. 

“I appreciate all that life throws at me and I use the wisdom I have to tackle any scenario,” commented Tong on her chinese symbol tattoo of wisdom. She relives the moment before getting the tattoo as emotionally empowered. Even though life has thrown her off course she wants to remember how she used her wisdom to overcome her inner demons.

About the Writer
Ana Saia, writer

I'm a senior who loves reading about mystery and fiction novels. I have been playing the violin for 10 years. Important figures such as Einstein, Audrey...

2 Comments

2 Responses to “How Tattoos Have Reflected a Young Teen’s Life”

1. Byron Raymundo on September 26th, 2018 8:40 am

I agree on the she got her tattoos, it’s a good way for a person to get that. To have something permanent on ones body is very risky and it should be something that is deep in that persons heart or mind. I intend as well to get my tattoos the same way.

2. madison on September 26th, 2018 8:44 am

i really liked this article and it made me have a deeper understanding as to why people get tattoos

• How Tattoos Have Reflected a Young Teen’s Life

Features

The Rise of Thrifting

Features

The Next Chapter

Features

Where Can AP Take You?

Features

Mama Rosenbaum, Here We Go Again?

Features

Ms. Welch Said What?!

Features

The Reality of Growing Up with PTSD

Features

“Of Course You’re Smart! You’re Asian!”

• Features

Lead Doesn’t Float

Features

The Oppression of the Possession

Features

Up, Up, and Away at Homecoming