Teen Driving: Waiting for the Wheel

Senior+Maxine+Rodriguez+got+her+permit+when+she+was+16%2C+and+her+license+6+months+after.+She+wishes+she+got+it+earlier+because+not+having+her+license+junior+year+made+her+miss+opportunities+%26+activities.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Teen Driving: Waiting for the Wheel

Senior Maxine Rodriguez got her permit when she was 16, and her license 6 months after. She wishes she got it earlier because not having her license junior year made her miss opportunities & activities.

Jana Marquez, Sports Editor

Senior Sebastian Lacap thinks driving without a license just isn’t worth the hassle.

Do you have your driver's license?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Take a walk down DOHS hallways and you’re bound to see a person proudly jingling their car keys chained to a lanyard in one hand and a Hydroflask water bottle in the other. For seniors, driving is further glamorized by the opportunity to claim and decorate their own parking spot.

Some of the few simple joys that come with obtaining a driver’s license are freedom, independence, and just the overall convenience of not having to walk, take the bus, or get dropped off.

All of these perks entice those who haven’t gotten their license yet, making them eager to do everything they can to get behind the wheel the second they become eligible. However, many students choose to wait to get their license and even those who don’t legally have a driver’s license can’t seem to wait and drive to school anyways with just a learner’s permit.

An anonymous student who has driven to school without a license, shared their take: “As a student who used to drive without a license, I believe that kids do that because most of them live far (away from the school), don’t have access to bus transportation or their parents can’t drive them. They just look for the last resort or available resource which would most likely be the car that stayed at home while the parents worked, which is what I did. Most students also don’t have the money or time to go to the DMV which is why they’re left with that option.”

Teen driving is already up for debate, as studies show that motor vehicle crashes are the leading cause of death for U.S. teens. In fact, most high school seniors have had a crash or near misses. With the accident rate so high among adolescents, should they really take the risk of driving without supervision? Teenagers are already known to be super impulsive, and statistics show this trait will be the link to their demise.

Senior Sebastian Lacap suggests this isn’t worth it. “I made the mistake of driving with just my permit and it led to me getting it revoked and having to wait another full 6 months. Personally, it’s just not worth it. Just wait to get your license to start driving by yourself, breaking the rules only makes the wait longer.”

Senior Maxine Rodriguez also supports this side and says, “I think it’s unsafe and definitely the parent’s responsibility.  Not only are you endangering your child who hasn’t been licensed for a reason, you’re also endangering every other person on the road. So I think it’s stupid, we have busses for a reason and yes, some bus stops are far but isn’t walking the distance worth not putting someone in danger?”

Driving is a privilege that comes with a load of responsibility, and there’s nothing wrong with waiting until you’re ready. For those who can’t seem to wait, there are better options than taking the huge risk of driving without a license.

Rodriguez adds, “I think as early as 15 and a half you should take your permit test and do driver’s ed since that age is kind of the least stressful time of your high school career, so it’s best to get that out of the way instead of doing it junior year or senior year when you’re swamped with work.”