• February 20Panoramic Pictures are in,if you purchased a copy Please stop by the Activities office and pick it up.

• February 20 If you are interested in applying for Student Council for next year, please come to an informational meeting on Thursday, February 28 @ 1:20pm in room 1107.

• February 20Track practice officially starts next Monday, February 25 at 1:40 pm. You must have your RegisterMyAthlete complete to be able to participate. Please see Coach Dinkel in room 1321 if you have any questions.

• February 20Nominations are currently open to be a speaker at graduation. To nominate a fellow graduate or yourself (hey, we aren't judging), use the QR code found outside of all government and english classes, as well as outside room 1103. Nominations will stay open until the end of the week.

• February 20Volleyball boys are having workouts during the week after school. Tryouts are Saturday and Monday, Feb 23rd & 25th. For more information, see Coach Porter, room 1009.

Coaching Students For Success

Back to Article
Back to Article

Coaching Students For Success

Lori Smith happily willing to help. Her room is located within deans office.

Ana Saia, Writer

School can be rigorous and stressful for students to want to attend. There could be days that are worse than others and having to go to school would create another obstacle to get through the day. This might be because of relationship, family, and even self-esteem complications.

Social worker, Lori Smith, created a program called Student Success Coaching Groups where students come together to help each other learn and grow from their mental health issues.

“I wanted to do something different than other social workers in the district, and so I decided to become a success coach to help students overcome their mental conditions,” said Smith.

In this group students discuss how to cope with their mental illness and how to strive to be more successful. This group takes place Monday through Friday and students can only attend if they are referred by one of the deans or school counselors. In other words if a student asks for help to learn how to treat their mental illness then they would most likely receive a referral to attend Student Success Coaching.

“Social workers address mental health problems, but we don’t do diagnosis,” commented Smith.

Social workers help individuals, families, and groups of people to cope with problems they’re facing to help improve the patient’s lives. Some tools that Smith uses to coach her students is by creating vision boards where students write their goals for that week and how they will achieve those goals.

If students feel that they have a mental illness, but aren’t certain, then they should go to their parents to schedule an appointment with a psychologist

“We also talk about triggers, the emotions before the anxiety surfaces,” said Smith.

Students who have to live with a mental illness often don’t understand how to prepare for circumstances that trigger those emotions.

In Smith’s student success group they dig deep into the student’s daily obstacles with their illness. Eventually they are able to predict when the anxiety is going to happen and prevent it from recurring.

“The title of a social worker is a stigma in itself, and that’s another reason why I created these psycho-education groups,” said Smith.

Many students don’t know there is a social worker at Desert Oasis nor what she does for the school. All students are allowed to go to her office, located in the Dean’s Office, throughout the day if there is a problem concerning oneself.

Student Success Coaching has already paved the way for new treatments to help students with mental illnesses succeed in life.

About the Writer
Ana Saia, writer

I'm a senior who loves reading about mystery and fiction novels. I have been playing the violin for 10 years. Important figures such as Einstein, Audrey...