Why is it Easy to Sneak Guns Into schools?

Back to Article
Back to Article

An ironic cartoon with a sarcastic tone. 'Yay Bulletproof Blankets!' by Matt Bors.

Angelyn Celis, Writer

Wake up, get ready, get on the bus, and go to school. This is a daily routine for numerous students, including myself. Before mass shootings were a daily thing, I never genuinely feared for my life, especially in a school. It’s so easy to get ahold of a gun today that many are unfazed to hear about something like a gun at a school football game. So that is the question- why are guns so easy to get into a school?

Today, in this day and age, it’s normal to hear about another mass shooting, whether it’s at a school, at a concert, or at a church. A majority of the population who may have never interacted with the victims at all will ‘awe’ and ‘send out their prayers’, as apathetic as that is, in reality many Americans will not take a stand to change gun laws until they are directly affected. Until Congress- if Congress- decides to change gun laws, or regulations, or until they do something to keep today’s kids safe, it’ll be easy as 1, 2, 3 to get a gun into a school.

It’s quite simple to get a gun into a school, especially one like D.O.. Since no one guards every accessible door that will allow someone to get onto campus, some ‘deranged psychopath’ can just stroll into a classroom, shoot the 20 to 40 kids in the class, then another mass school shooting will be on the news, with strangers sending their ‘condolences’, and the cycle will repeat itself. Or instead of a maniac invading the campus, a bullied, hurt student could just sneak a gun into their backpack or even a fed up teacher. It’s outrageous to see preschoolers have to practice hard lockdowns and having to crawl under bulletproof blankets or bring bulletproof backpacks.

Guns are easy to get into schools because no one has tried hard enough to enforce stricter gun control such as actual thorough background checks or banning guns altogether. It’s hard to find a clear solution for such a controversial topic like gun control, but to keep students safe, something has to be done.

Are you afraid to go to school because of guns?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...