Know Groupthink? No Groupthink!

The 1988 clique film, The Heathers.

The 1988 clique film, The Heathers.

The 1988 clique film, The Heathers.

Marina Gedo, Opinion Editor

The Heathers, another great 80’s film released in 1988, is about a teen girl, Veronica, who is trapped in the “popular” clique.  Like most cliques, all of the girls who are part of the group are required to act the same, talk the same, and follow orders from the reigning queen bee, Heather.  In fact, the clique is so pathetic, that 3 of the 4 girls are actually named Heather! Not able to reasonably escape the suffocating clique, Veronica teams up with an outcast, and they plot a devious plan to kill all the popular kids at their school.  It’s tough enough to get through high school, and as students, we should avoid segregating ourselves into cliques.

I’m not implying that we should kill all the “popular kids”, that might be a wee bit extreme, but we can learn an important lesson from The Heathers: groupthink is unhealthy at best and at worse can lead to death.  Groupthink is defined as: “the practice of thinking or making decisions as a group in a way that discourages creativity or individual responsibility.”  Some of you are probably thinking, “that’s so dumb, who would ever have their thoughts and opinions made up by other people,” right? Wrong. Our generation is replete with people whose opinions are formed not only by other people, but also by social media.

An excellent example of people’s opinions being influenced by social media is the 2016 presidential election.  This was a memorable election because, in its aftermath, many millennials were hiding out in “safe spaces” crying, wailing, and kneading Play-Dough.  If you were one of those snowflakes, you probably are a victim of social media groupthink. Teenagers and young adults everywhere were against Donald Trump, not because of his plan to “Make America Great Again” (honestly, who would be against making the country you live in great?), but because Twitter told them to dislike him.  President Trump was described as a racist, a sexist, a homophobe, a tyrant, an idiot, and more without any evidence to back it up.  Sadly, many Americans accepted these attacks as truth, without taking the time to find out for themselves if the facts support the allegations.  This is madness! The opinions of our entire generation are formed by anonymous “ghosts” on Twitter, Facebook, and other social media apps. I hope social media never declares snapback hats to be uncool… all the hipster doofuses would curl up into the fetal position and suck their thumbs.

Another example of social media groupthink is whenever a low-I.Q. celebrity “tweets” their opinion on a topic, which is then liked and retweeted thousands of times until the whole world has seen it.  Did you know most Hollyweird celebrities are not very bright?

NOT a Jim Jones victim.

Many actors and singers are college or even high school drop-outs. Yes, they have the talent to read lines (that somebody else wrote) while on camera, or to sing and maybe play an instrument, but that does not automatically transform them into all-knowing oracles of truth!  Is this really the way we want to live our lives? Clinging onto other people’s opinions and “retweeting” them as our own?

In its extreme, groupthink can be downright deadly.    In the 1950’s Jim Jones, a religious cult leader, started the “People’s Temple” cult.  It started off somewhat harmless until things quickly got freaky. During the late 1970’s, Jones compelled over 900 people to follow him blindly and convinced them to commit mass suicide.  Why would almost 1,000 people kill themselves at the direction of one man? According to Wikipedia (the best website on Earth because I said so. Tee hee, see what I did there?), “The reason given by Jones to commit suicide was…his conspiracy theories of intelligence organizations allegedly conspiring against the Temple, that men would ‘parachute in here on us’, ‘shoot some of our innocent babies’ and ‘they’ll torture our children, they’ll torture some of our people here, they’ll torture our seniors’.”  The infamous line “Drink the Kool-Aid” originated from this tragedy because Jones used cyanide-laced grape Kool-aid to kill his followers. You would think Jones would’ve killed that annoying pitcher of Kool-aid that crashes through walls yelling, “Ohhhhh yeahhhh!”. But no, it lives on.

The moral of the story is, don’t be a fool and drink the Kool-aid.  Think for yourself. Do your own research before you vote or before you join a cult (I highly advise against joining a cult, but you do you).  If we want to change the world, we need to start using our brains and forming our own opinions. Stop listening to Twitter, Facebook or Instagram and start finding the truth out for yourself.  Groupthink is the enemy of free thought… and free-thinking people are the best guardians of liberty.

About the Writer
Marina Gedo, Opinion Editor

Hey!  My name is Marina Gedo, but you already knew that…

I am the Opinion Editor for The Oasis Review.

I am a proud owner of a 1993 Jeep Wrangler.  My favorite bands/artists are The Beach Boys, The Vamps, AC/DC, Queen, Van Halen, Billy Joel, and The Strokes.  I love 80s movies like The Breakfast Club, Ferris Bueller’s Day Off and Better Off Dead.  I can’t wait to make this year a blast!