• April 9Theatre will be selling Panda Express every Friday, both lunches, for $5

• March 21Sign up to participate in the 3rd Annual ADL No place for Hate Walk Against Hate, Sunday, April 28, 2019 at 9:00 AM at Springs Preserve

• January 28Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA) meets every Thursday during lunch; 1st lunch - room 1321; 2nd lunch room - 1207; come for pizza, fun, and fellowship.

• January 24there will be an informational meeting this coming today, January 28, right after school in room 513.

The Fear of the Gap Year

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Fear of the Gap Year

Ana Saia, Writer

Highschool is filled with many stressful factors that pressures students to go to college. Specifically during senior year of highschool, when life-changing decisions can take control of student’s future. After the exhilarating years of ongoing school, some students decide to take a gap year while others believe this would be a waste of time.

“When students take a gap year they miss multiple opportunities that college can offer,” stated from counselor, Jackie Dale. The students who decide to travel rather than attend college forget that there are tons of programs that give students the opportunity to study abroad. In most cases, it’s cheaper to attend college and then travel than to do it by one’s personal standards.

“Nearly everyone qualifies for financial aid, so if people really want to go to college then they try as hard as they possibly can to do so,” said Dale. Finances for college can be quite overwhelming, but with the help of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), attending college is possible. Being a college student comes with its perks such as student discounts for restaurants, books, etc.

“It’s not important to go to college, It’s a benefit,” said senior, Adam King. According to the Rasmussen College, students who take forth in a gap year tend to waste much time and eventually fall further behind their peers causing more stress. Those who aren’t goal-oriented trail off during their year off and decide to save money towards other things such as cars and houses.

While gap years can place students in a worrisome predicament, according to professional australian researcher, Andrew Martin, “when used constructively, gap years helped students gain skills, better grades and did not slow down their academic momentum.” During this year off, students develop a sense of self-worth and discover the goals they want to accomplish for their future. After students find their destined career choice, that’s when they enroll themselves for college, and they tend so save more money and are more content with their academics.

“The experiences that students encounter on their gap year can be more impactful than a classroom,” said Dale. Traveling gives students an advantage to explore as well learn  about the world through their perspective, and they’ll be able to add these experiences to their college applications the following year. Students might even learn new skills that can benefit their future such as the different ways to communicate with others from a foreign country.

One of the best ways to spend a gap year is to work to earn money. College tends to drain student’s bank accounts before they’re even accepted to a university. According to the College Board of Education, two out of three students were in some kind of financial aid by the end of 2016. After saving up money from their current job, students have enough earnings to attend college and aren’t as stressed out compared to other college students. Taking a gap year is meant to recharge student’s academic interests, inspire students to go on expeditions, and learn new lessons and morals.

Would you consider taking a gap year?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

About the Writer
Ana Saia, writer

I'm a senior who loves reading about mystery and fiction novels. I have been playing the violin for 10 years. Important figures such as Einstein, Audrey...