• March 8You and your families are invited to attend a presentation on March 19th at 6pm on how to plan financially for college.

• March 8 March 31, 2019 is the last day that current 9th, and 10th grade students can apply for appointment by their state senators to the 2019-2021 term in the Nevada Youth Legislature (NYL).

• March 8 March is Women's History Month and DOHS is leading the educational charge with our Annual Speaker's Series.

• February 26Attention Seniors! Seats on the senior trip are still available! Purchase your ticket from the banker and take your receipt to 1107 to register!

• February 1Advanced Theater is fundraising by selling Krispy Kreme glazed donuts every Friday for $1

Awareness of Epilepsy

Over a decade ago, the congress declared November as national epilepsy awareness month. It’s to create a more general understanding and compassion to others with this disorder. Epilepsy is defined as a nervous system disorder that’s associated with abnormal electrical activity in the brain. A few of our students at DO  are diagnosed with epilepsy, and they’re opened to share their experience with this neurological disorder.

Kyle Bradley, senior, studying for his government class.

“I was diagnosed when I was around fourteen in middle school,” Kyle Bradley, explained.

Kyle Bradley is now a senior and faces the most common of all convulsions of epilepsy. He struggles with mini mal seizures which only lasts a short amount of time, but he still loses consciousness. Kyle was taken off of medication because of the lack of seizures he was experiencing. Though after not taking medication for awhile he had one grand mal seizure, a grand mal seizure is more violent and severe.

“I was in the shower when it happened, and my mom heard the banging,” says Bradley.

When these occurrences happen, making sure they don’t choke on their spit or their tongue, and putting them on their sides is all you can do. Kyle’s triggers still aren’t completely certain, but taking medication seems to make it a lot easier on him.

“In sophomore year, I was in my science class about to present a project. I suddenly blacked out and hit my head on the ground. I was experiencing a seizure, and afterwards I was sent home.” said by an anonymous student.

Epilepsy is very different for others, as in the symptoms they have. Anonymous encounters something called aura. It’s a feeling of warning before undergoing a seizure. So when they have an aura, they tell a guardian while they lay on their side just before the seizure occurs.

“I was taken off medication last year. I haven’t had any seizures since.” Anonymous states.

Though they still aren’t very sure of specific triggers that cause the seizures, they were certain it was either stress or bright light, but it’s still not determined. 

To support to this cause and help others with epilepsy. You can donate to campaigns that focus on a cure and ending epilepsy, such as the link below. You can also wear purple and share information with others.

Here to donate:

https://donate.epilepsy.com/donate

Do you or a loved one have epilepsy?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...