Student Shows Up to School in a Confederate Flag Jacket

Tyson+Reese%2C+junior.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Tyson Reese, junior.

Tyson Reese, junior.

Tyson Reese, junior.

Tyson Reese, junior.

Chasity Pescado, Writer

On November 15th, a student was seen wearing a Confederate flag jacket to school. This created an immediate reaction from fellow Diamondbacks which led to videos being posted on social media platforms and being confronted by students.

“The reason I wear the Confederate flag has nothing to do with race to me,” junior, Tyler Reese, stated.

The Confederate flag represents a time where the South seceded from the Union due to the opposing views of slavery, but others believe that it represents America coming together and not hate.

“I wear it for a sense of heritage and owning up to the mistakes you’ve made and trying to make yourself better from them,” Reese expresses.

His intentions were not to make anyone feel violated but to simply wear a representation of what he strongly believes in.

“It is my first amendment right to express myself, but it is also others First Amendment right to talk to me the way they did,” explained Reese.

What was worn was offensive to some students, but also it was understood that it would be offensive to other students, that someone would wear something that doesn’t support that all men are equal.

“My friends and family were understanding and knew what I believed in, and for others, once I got a chance to explain myself, they understood my reasons for wearing a Confederate flag jacket,” Reese stated.

Although his friends and family support him for the most part, other students didn’t come to an understanding with his reasoning because of what the flag generally stands for.

Were you outraged about his fashion statement?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...