• February 20Panoramic Pictures are in,if you purchased a copy Please stop by the Activities office and pick it up.

• February 20 If you are interested in applying for Student Council for next year, please come to an informational meeting on Thursday, February 28 @ 1:20pm in room 1107.

• February 20Track practice officially starts next Monday, February 25 at 1:40 pm. You must have your RegisterMyAthlete complete to be able to participate. Please see Coach Dinkel in room 1321 if you have any questions.

• February 20Nominations are currently open to be a speaker at graduation. To nominate a fellow graduate or yourself (hey, we aren't judging), use the QR code found outside of all government and english classes, as well as outside room 1103. Nominations will stay open until the end of the week.

• February 20Volleyball boys are having workouts during the week after school. Tryouts are Saturday and Monday, Feb 23rd & 25th. For more information, see Coach Porter, room 1009.

The Rise of Thrifting

Ethan+Coppedge+%2C+junior%2C+on+the+look+out+for+a+unique+find.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

The Rise of Thrifting

Ethan Coppedge , junior, on the look out for a unique find.

Melissa Parsons, Writer

Fashion has always gone through a cycle of trends as time goes on. Thrifting is the act of shopping at a thrift store with the intent of finding interesting items. Many people thrift out of pure curiosity or in hopes to find something vintage. The “treasure hunt” element of this way of shopping is what makes it exciting to some.

Junior, Ethan Coppedge, is a frequent thrifter who always manages to find good items for a low price.

“I like thrifting because you find things you don’t normally look for,” Coppedge explains.

Recently, the popularity of thrifting has severely increased amongst the youth. Many people look for vintage items when thrifting and often resell them on online stores such as ‘Depop’ or ‘Poshmark’ to make money.

“I got into thrifting because I can find cool clothes for a cheap price.” Ethan says.

When it comes to thrifting, there’s an endless amount strategies to find that one perfect clothing item. People have a certain way to thrifting which some believe can increase the possibility to finding good items; whether it be listening to music through headphones, looking through the kids or clearance section.

When asked about his strategies to thrifting Ethan comments,

“I go thrifting almost every two weeks. I go on Mondays and Tuesdays because that’s when Goodwill restocks everything.”

The vintage aspect of thrifting is what can be intriguing to some. Brands such as Champion, Calvin Klein, Tommy Hilfiger, and etc. can be found at your local thrift stores. Occasionally, you can score on something retro if you look hard enough through the endless amount of clothing racks.

“The best thing that I’ve found yet was a Polaroid (camera) from ‘75.” Ethan said.

People tend to overcomplicate and stress over thrifting. Sometimes it can be a relaxing and calming outlet from the outside world. Many take it so seriously that some refer it to as an art form.

To sum it up, thrifting is a great, inexpensive way to find some of the coolest pieces to add to your wardrobe. Many may fear to go thrifting because it can be stressful sometimes, but you never know until you try. 

When asked about thrifting Ethan describes it as:

“Easy, breezy”

How often do you thrift?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...
About the Writer
Melissa Parsons, Staff Writer

Hi! My name is Melissa and I'm a junior here at DO. This year I plan on becoming more involved in school, so I decided to join journalism. I love listening...