• March 8You and your families are invited to attend a presentation on March 19th at 6pm on how to plan financially for college.

• March 8 March 31, 2019 is the last day that current 9th, and 10th grade students can apply for appointment by their state senators to the 2019-2021 term in the Nevada Youth Legislature (NYL).

• March 8 March is Women's History Month and DOHS is leading the educational charge with our Annual Speaker's Series.

• February 26Attention Seniors! Seats on the senior trip are still available! Purchase your ticket from the banker and take your receipt to 1107 to register!

• February 1Advanced Theater is fundraising by selling Krispy Kreme glazed donuts every Friday for $1

Born To Lead

Alex Simi, on the left, and his team mate Christian Vaughan, on the right, posing for a quick flic after receiving their awards.

Kyle Muna, Writer

For many football players, a starting spot on Varsity football is the goal. However, for junior Alex Simi, being the MVP is the ultimate goal.

“Honestly I wasn’t expecting it, it was one of those things where you just don’t know who’s going to get it,” explained Simi.

Many players on the team, including Simi, expected it to be one of the 4 captains or a senior as it was there last season. Although, the star junior played both offense and defense and put in massive amounts of hard work and overtime to win the award.

“I didn’t even think it to be me. My coaches and teammates say that I won this award for my leadership and dedication to the team. I played both sides of the ball offense and defense at two critical positions, and I was a play maker that made plays when we needed too in big situations,” Simi continued.

This is the mindset of a true team leader, someone who does his job and expects no recognition in return. A player who is willing to put the work in day in and day out to win games, put points on the board, and leave everything on that field.

“After accepting all of the congratulations and seeing the impact I made without realizing it, it opened my eyes and made me want to push myself harder so I can win it again.” exclaimed Simi.

Goals have been set and bars have been raised for a future captain of the team and the one and only MVP, Alex Simi. As a leader, teammates should look up to you especially the younger players and winning MVP is setting the right example.

“I’m ready to lead the team and the school into a better season, to do better than we did this year.” remarked Simi.

Next year will be Simi’s, as well as many other talented players on the team, last year and everyone is hoping to leave on a high note. That being said, for all players next season started on that final buzzer.

All in all, Varsity star Alex Simi was very humble about winning MVP and deserved it as well.  He is a star player on both sides of the ball and and good student in the classrooms.

About the Writer
Kyle Muna, Writer

I am a student athlete in my second year of journalism, I'm a sophomore that enjoys talking to people. In my free time I enjoy listening to music, watching...