Why the JOB Fair did not WORK

Back to Article
Back to Article

Why the JOB Fair did not WORK

Christian Manriquez, Writer

Monday, January 28th, our school hosted the job fair. The job fair was a place where students could dress professionally, put on their biggest smiles, and meet potential companies looking to hire. It consisted of companies in hospitality, film connections, and more. This was the first year that the school advertised the Job Fair extensively. QR codes were put out to see who’d attend, announcements on DOTV were made, and there were even bingo cards to ensure you got the most out of your experience. The one thing that wasn’t discussed? Just how useless this whole adventure would be.
First off, and let’s be honest, the job fair was just an excuse to leave class. Many students didn’t seem to care about the job fair at all, but instead the extra time it gave them to sit and chat with their friends. The complimentary bingo cards, which some teachers converted to extra credit points, were left discarded in the gym.
Not to mention that the fair came during the second semester – the hardest part of the school year. Second semester, or third quarter specifically, is the time of projects. This is when students tend to spend their time worrying about paying their AP exams, or finishing one of their many summative assignments. It is not a time when they should be adding work hours, or scheduling job interviews. Plus, even if there were a student who was looking to get hired, most of the companies there weren’t interested in hiring teenagers. It gives a false sense of hope to students, giving them the impression that maybe they’ll get a job.
If the school wants to make a better job fair experience, they should bring in more companies that are looking to hire teenagers. They should have also made it more organized, rather than letting a bunch of teenagers roam around freely, crashing and bumping into each other. There should have been less slots for teachers to sign their classes up, so that the gym wasn’t as packed. If there were room to roam about, then students would be able to see the various booths and tables easier, allowing them to talk to as many companies as they possibly could.
Overall, while the job fair wasn’t a total fail, it definitely could’ve been improved upon. There’s always next year to change things, though.

About the Writer
Christian Manriquez, Writer

My name is Christian Manriquez and I am currently sophomore. I was raised in Long Beach, California, but moved to Las Vegas my freshman year. I consider...