Movies That Your Parents Loved That You’ve Never Watched Before

Back to Article
Back to Article

The non stereotypical  clic, The Breakfast Club.

The non stereotypical clic, The Breakfast Club.

Tiffany Pugh, Writer

Motion pictures and cinematography has evolved in countless ways from films that were once inaudible, black and white, to color and realistic CGI (computer-generated imagery). When watching films now, they’re produced in a 4K quality and include complex storylines, making them highly entertaining. Production companies like Sony and Marvel have dominated the movie industry with their recent blockbuster movies, winning awards such as Grammy Awards and Golden Globes.

To change perspectives, classic and older movies have a realistic feel. The emotions expressed by the characters are felt within the audience. Here’s a must-see list of timeless movies that your parents most likely watched. These films are known to be popular amongst other generations filled with memorizing quotes and will leave you inspired and motivated to create something, just as abstract and moving like the stories these films contain:

1. The Breakfast Club (Rated R/1985/ Available on Youtube, Amazon Prime, iTunes, Google Play, Vudu $3.99 and Netflix through subscription)- Young high school students, all seemingly different from one another get themselves into Saturday detention for the day with their megalomaniac of a principal. The characters throughout the film get to share their stories, which develops into the question; why would the “jock” ever talk to the “nerd” or get along with the “rebel”  in any other situation than this one? The film simply breaks the stereotypical views of cliques and what would happen if those views were broken.
  2. Heathers (Rated R/1989/Available on Youtube, Amazon Prime, Google Play, Vudu ($2.99) iTunes ($3.99) and Netflix through subscription)- Veronica (Winona Ryder) becomes apart of “Heathers.” The most popular clique of girls at her high school. The Heathers might be the most popular girls but they’re also the most cruel and wicked. That’s when Veronica meets the new mysterious boy named JD; short for Jason Dean (Christian Slater.) They confront the clique leader Heather Chandler (Kim Walker) together and accidentally poison her. They make it seem like a suicide, though soon enough Veronica finds out JD is murdering students he doesn’t like. Before he kills anymore students, Veronica finds out a way to stop him. The film parodies the cliche of stereotypical teenage personas in most teen films.
  3. Pulp Fiction (Rated R/1994/Available on Youtube, Amazon Prime, Google Play ($2.99), iTunes and Vudu ($3.99) and Netflix through subscription)- Vincent Vega (John Travolta) and Jules Winnfield (Samuel L. Jackson) are hit men that work for a big time gangster, Marsellus Wallace (Ving Rhames.) The film goes through, a series of separated short stories of crime and comedy. Vega is told to keep his boss’ wife Mia, entertained. Mia is an actress and tells her story of being an actress. It then cuts to a struggling boxer that is trying to disappear, that runs into two robbers and gets into a huge conflict with each other and also Wallace. There’s even more stories that make it all tie together and make a wonderful film to have a laugh with.
  4. Before Sunrise (Rated R/1995/ Available on iTunes, Google Play, Vudu and Youtube/ $2.99)- A young student (Celine played by Julie Delpy) and an American (Jesse played by Ethan Hawkes) both find each other on a train to Vienna. Jesse’s flight back to the US departs the next morning. The two spend the majority of their time left together on that fateful night. Hours of conversing can form such a connection neither one could have expected. It’s a simple cliche of love at first sight, though who could resist such a love story in a beautiful place.
  5. Good Will Hunting (Rated R/1997/ Available on Youtube, Amazon Prime, iTunes, Google Play, Vudu ($3.99) and Netflix through subscription)- Will Hunting (Matt Damon) works as a janitor at MIT, he was an abused foster child and now lives in a small apartment. He believes he had caused his unhappy upbringing that lead to his self loathing, to complete self hatred and self sabotage. Though the first week of classes, he solves a rather quite difficult graduate math equation that was left on the board. He was proven to have a “genius-level IQ”. It caught Professor Gerald Lambeau’s attention to the person who had solve his equation. Professor Lambeau soon enough tracked Hunting down; However, Hunting had gotten himself in prison for getting in a fight with a former bully and hits a police officer interfering in the conflict. Professor Lambeau truly believed in Hunting’s intellect and went to the his trial. Lambeau proposed Will could go to jail or go under Lambeau’s supervision, studies mathematics, and sees a psychotherapist Sean Maguire (Robin Williams.) A truly moving film and the screenplay was by Matt Damon himself and Ben Affleck.
  6. Memento (Rated R/2000/ Available on Youtube, Amazon Prime, Google Play, Vudu ($2.99))*Warning mentions of rape*- Probably the most complex storyline in this list. This film is about a widowed man Leonard, (Guy Pearce) on his own personal mission to figure out who murdered and raped his wife. The major challenge throughout the film is that Leonard suffers a very rare condition of memory loss. He can remember the moments before the incident but can’t remember why he’s in a room or how much time has passed. Though the way the film was put together was very different. It is showed in both black and white sequences and in color. The black and white sequences show the incidents in chronological order and the color sequences show the incidents in reverse to show the effects of the character’s untreatable amnesia condition.
  7. Donnie Darko (Rated R/2001/ Available on Youtube and Google Play($3.99) iTunes and Vudu ($9.99) also Showtime and Showtime Anytime through subscription)- Donnie Darko isn’t the typical teen film. Donnie Darko (Jake Gyllenhaal) is a troubled teenage boy that experiences sleepwalking. One night Darko sleepwalks outside his house and when he eventually wakes up and sees, a very demonic looking rabbit the size of a man. The rabbit, Frank tells Donnie that he has 28 days left until the end of the world. The rest of the film was very apocalyptic, Donnie would try his best to live out his teenage years. Though the film never really explains whether or not Donnie Darko is in a parallel universe or if he was suffering a mental illness, and/or simply if it was all just a dream.
  8. Lost In Translation (Rated R/2003/Available on Youtube, Amazon Prime, iTunes, Google Play and Vudu ($3.99))- Two strangers create a very unlikely bond after meeting in Tokyo. They met in a hotel bar; both wanting to find an escape or a distraction, among the bright city lights in a foreign country to both Charlotte (Scarlett Johansson) and Bob Harris (Bill Murray.) Charlotte is accompanying her new husband, but he often makes her feel neglected because he’s too busy as a celebrity-photographer. Bob is a long time actor, that’s trying to find work. It’s an unlikely pair but seems to work out just fine during the film and they keep each other company.
  9. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (Rated R/2004/ Available on Youtube, Amazon Prime, iTunes, Google Play, Vudu ($3.99) and Netflix through subscription)- A couple go through a painful breakup, it leads Clementine (Kate Winslet) to go through a procedure where she utterly erased her memories of her former boyfriend Joel (Jim Carrey). Joel finally finds out about what Clementine had done, and then decided to go through the same procedure to forget about the one he once loved. The director of the movie, Michael Gondry, showed the struggles and pain that couples experiences in relationships. The movie is quite special like how the scenes were taken to the amazing performances of the actors.
  10. Nowhere Boy (Rated R/2009/Available on iTunes, Vudu ($9.99) and Netflix through subscription)- A coming of age story about future Beatles singer, John Lennon (Aaron Johnson) and his years as a teenager. It’s the late 1950’s and John has been raised by his aunt since he was five. His aunt’s husband has suddenly died and finds his mother at the funeral. John decides to build a relationship with his mother Julia (Anne-Marie Duff.) Julia introduces John to the world of music and even shows him the banjo; however, a family conflict comes up but that doesn’t stop John from forming his own band that soon enough be the band the Beatles the entire world will know about.

Within these films, all the directors work hard to give the message across in the films, to visually engage the audience to feel the character’s emotions to be able to relate to them in some way, all takes pure talent. By watching these films, life lessons are learned and a connection between not only you and the movie, but as well as the you and your parents. 

About the Writer
Tiffany Pugh, Reporter

I’m bit of an introvert when you first meet me, but once you get to know me I’m very outgoing. I’m originally from Warren, Ohio. I also have a lot...