The Election of the Student Body President

Back to Article
Back to Article

Both candidates Mikayla Anderson and Katherine Rojas running against each other for the role of student body president.

Chasity Pescado, Writer

It’s the time of year where school elections are coming to arise. The competition is rising between both juniors Mikayla Anderson and Katherine Rojas for the position of the 2019-2020 student body president. Both candidates show immense passion for not only bettering the school but the students as well.

The job of the student body president holds much responsibility. Their roles can include being our school representative within the district, attending high-level monthly meetings, leading conferences, and joining a handful of committees.

“I wanted to run for student body president due to the fact I’ve been a part of student council since freshman year. I’ve been able to form great relationships with my peers and teachers. By watching my class prosper, I want my school to prosper with them as well. My overall goal is to create a better environment, hold new events, and to make sure my class has the best senior year possible,” gladly expressed Mikayla Anderson.

Our school’s student body is in need of a president who is up for taking high responsibilities, improve how StuCo takes care of school events, and to listen to students recommendations on how to make our school a better place. The student body president must be prepared and ready to take on the difficult tasks that are presented.

“The reason why I’m running for student body president is not only do I wish to make sure our school has a strong representative but because my brother was a past Dback president. I want to be able to keep the tradition going of helping our school be as successful as it can be by displaying devoted leadership and encouraging students to constantly push themselves,” expressed Katherine Rojas.

Rojas hopes to help improve school spirit among all the classes and to encourage students to be involved with more school events such as sports games, clubs or being apart of school plays.  She also desires to make sure student’s feel safe, whether that be the current class or hallway they’re in.

“I hope to encourage students showing more school spirit by engaging in more clubs and sports. I also plan to have more pep rallies for sports other than football. Each sport desires their own recognition,” stated Anderson.

The competition is already at a high due to the contestants persuading their class on who they should vote for. However, Anderson and Rojas remain mutual with one another due to their goals remaining the same, that being making our school a better place.