• April 9Theatre will be selling Panda Express every Friday, both lunches, for $5

• March 21Sign up to participate in the 3rd Annual ADL No place for Hate Walk Against Hate, Sunday, April 28, 2019 at 9:00 AM at Springs Preserve

• January 28Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA) meets every Thursday during lunch; 1st lunch - room 1321; 2nd lunch room - 1207; come for pizza, fun, and fellowship.

• January 24there will be an informational meeting this coming today, January 28, right after school in room 513.

Captain Marvel Is On the Way To Save the Day

Marvel Studios released the new film, Captain Marvel on Friday the 8th. Starring Brie Larson as Carol Danvers and Samuel L. Jackson as the iconic Nick Fury. Carol Danvers is caught in a war with the alien Skrulls and having to unveil secrets about her past.
https://variety.com/2019/film/news/box-office-captain-marvel-international-1203158431/

Marvel Studios released the new film, Captain Marvel on Friday the 8th. Starring Brie Larson as Carol Danvers and Samuel L. Jackson as the iconic Nick Fury. Carol Danvers is caught in a war with the alien Skrulls and having to unveil secrets about her past. https://variety.com/2019/film/news/box-office-captain-marvel-international-1203158431/

Tiffany Pugh, Writer

International Women’s Day is a day to celebrate the many profound women in our lives. It’s also the day ‘Captain Marvel’,  the film, was released. Brie Larson, who plays Captain Marvel, is best known for her performance as Mason Weaver in Kong: Skull Island. Brie Larson has now taken the role of the mighty warrior and superhero. The film didn’t only empower the female audience, but it also reminded women to be more confident in their abilities as the female gender.

*From here, this article will contain minor spoilers*

As a part of the female audience and a major fan of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, I could be undeniably biased. Though I genuinely enjoyed the film, immediately before it was released, it already experienced some backlash. Some fans would argue having a character appear so late in the trilogy, without enough buildup, could create a bad viewing experience of the next big upcoming film, “Avengers: Endgame.” Where it’s said the character, Captain Marvel or her original name Carol Danvers, is an extremely big part of the movie. Other fans would even argue that it would be such a catastrophic movie because the actress didn’t smile enough throughout the trailer.

I would disagree greatly about the actress not displaying enough emotion. The film actually shows the character being quite cocky and humorous. Danvers, the main character would crack a few jokes even during combat and from my experience, much of the audience in the theater watching the film laughed along too. Another reason why I disagree is the fact Danvers wasn’t able to recollect any of her memories on her own. It’s even shown in other characters of Marvel Comics that have gone through similar obstacles and losing their memory that took a toll on them mentally.

Also while in combat, the fighting sequences were beautifully choreographed, in terms of being able to comprehend the movements and the camera angle choices. In general, the film did a remarkable job paying attention to detail. Such as holograms showing interference when a physical force comes into contact and amazing CGI and animation with Samuel L. Jackson and Clark Gregg to make them appear like their characters in the mid-’90s.

I used to agree with the long overdue entry of Captain Marvel, until watching the film in its entirety, it showed character development which created the attachment to the character overcoming her struggles. Although, I would have appreciated more information about Captain Marvel in earlier Marvel movies such as in the famous post-credit scenes of Marvel movies where they could have added more exaggeration towards the character. Fans of the films would’ve anticipated and had more exhilaration over Captain Marvel.

The film I would say followed every step of the Hero’s Journey quite accurately. Until the end, it’s the final battle with the opposing side, the Krees. While Captain Marvel is on her own trying to finish the intergalactic war between the two alien species, the fight happens quite swiftly due to the director and writers wanting to show how powerful she is. Though in her fight against the enemy, she didn’t show any signs of a struggle and seemed overly confident in her abilities she just discovered. I would have admired the character showing a little bit of “with great power comes with great responsibility.”  Furthermore, back to the beginning, her mentor wanted to teach her a lesson on how emotions get in the way of overcoming the opponent in a fight. Though I would’ve liked to see her realization in a more complex way during the battle scene, instead of demolishing alien spaceships for the fun of it.

To conclude, the film created wonderful parallels in Carol’s life. From being constantly told that she was weak and falling down to getting back up again, it showed that she was still human even with such power within her.  The film may have inspired young girls to join an occupation like the air force or the military in general (which was represented in the film). Additionally, this generation of ladies finally has their own Captain to look up to now when they finally decide how they want to change the world.

About the Writer
Tiffany Pugh, Reporter

I’m bit of an introvert when you first meet me, but once you get to know me I’m very outgoing. I’m originally from Warren, Ohio. I also have a lot...