• April 9Theatre will be selling Panda Express every Friday, both lunches, for $5

• March 21Sign up to participate in the 3rd Annual ADL No place for Hate Walk Against Hate, Sunday, April 28, 2019 at 9:00 AM at Springs Preserve

• January 28Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA) meets every Thursday during lunch; 1st lunch - room 1321; 2nd lunch room - 1207; come for pizza, fun, and fellowship.

• January 24there will be an informational meeting this coming today, January 28, right after school in room 513.

Love, Death, and… Robots?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Love, Death, and… Robots?

Love, Death, and Robots logo.

Love, Death, and Robots logo.

Love, Death, and Robots logo.

Love, Death, and Robots logo.

Tiffany Pugh, Writers

Spoilers Ahead!

Netflix released a new original series,” Love, Death, and Robots.” The show has a similar pattern in comparison to “Black Mirror,” of a different story every episode with an unexpected twist towards the end. The show is rated TV-MA due to major nudity throughout and explicit language.

The first episode made me skeptical, it explains the underground fight club that uses “beasties.” Beasties are robot fighters that fight to the death while the audience bets on the winner. Sonnie is one of the owners that is connected with her beastie through their universe’s technology. The fight scene was well animated and the episode gave a really strong impression with the storyline. The show displays the struggles of getting caught in sex trafficking as well as mentally and physically scarring Sonnie. Though going to the next episode I realized the story doesn’t carry out.

The second episode had a really well written, comedic script. Three robots were on their own adventure through a demolished city which was caused by us humans and what led to our extinction. The robots explored through the crumbling buildings explaining the events that went down cracking jokes and made it seem more of a tourist attraction for robots. The third episode was probably in my top 3 favorite episodes. A woman witnessed a murder in a building across from her room’s window. She is then spotted by the murderer and is now being chased by this murderer. There was, of course, inappropriate scenes that weren’t really necessary, but the concept and from what I had realized towards the end brings everything together with the certain parallels from the start of the episode. So far, the first three episodes are definitely recommended.

Which brings me to the next four episodes, four through seven. These episodes, in general, I wouldn’t recommend because it wasn’t entertaining enough or had anything interesting about them. The fourth episode and fifth episode showed a group of people fighting monsters, nothing anyone hasn’t seen before. Though the sixth episode was quite funny. Where yogurt a dairy product becomes our glorious leaders and fixes the world’s problems, it was just a pretty bland storyline and was the shortest episode of the show being only six minutes. The seventh episode had its moments where it could engage the audience. Though the actors did a horrendous job – their acting was a travesty which distracted from the entire plot. The third character on the ship only said a few lines at the beginning of the episode and laid in a sleeping pod the rest of the time. This third character seemed unneeded and didn’t contribute anywhere in the story.

Finally, the eighth episode and also known as my absolute favorite episode. A father and a son are said to be spirit hunters, hunting a shape-shifting Huli Jing (a fox spirit created from Chinese traditions). The main character is also the narrator and tells the story of him, Liang and another Huli Jing Yan. The unexpected duo grew up together but Liang decides to live on his own in Europe. The timeline isn’t clarified but my assumption is late 1800’s or early 1900’s. Liang’s job was building and improving the trains, but he then finds Yan who had followed him to Europe and Yan being harassed by invasive English men. Yan follows her destiny of being a Huli Jing and serving for the English men merely for seduction and her beauty. She undergoes a procedure against her will by the Governor, and it takes a toll on her which begins her vengeful storyline in which Liang helps her achieve. The episode like every other has a unique art style. It not only takes the technology from the industrial and steam period but advances it into a futuristic look. The story follows the one from the first episode of a vengeful female being taken advantage of and making it a story worth a continuation.

The ninth episode titled “The Dump” had me bored within the first minute, but the tenth episode I would say is recommended. The tenth episode showed a sort of discrimination towards the shape-shifting species in this universe. The two main characters were marines who had these supernatural powers, being able to shapeshift. The story showed how they cared for each other being the only ones of their kind there. Which sprouted into a moral backstory for one of the characters being able to show he’s worthy of being apart of the marines or military, and that he would never leave a soldier behind.

Eleven through thirteen fell on the line of being in between, and so did episode sixteen. It had simple storylines and it wasn’t too complex and wasn’t too boring. Though episode sixteen was the only episode without any animations whatsoever and was only real life acting by Topher Grace and Mary Elizabeth Winstead. The last episode I’ll be talking about is episode fourteen. The episode starts with a reporter narrating and telling the story of a famous painter Zima Blue. Zima Blue was known for his realistic paintings that soon turned into something that bewildered his audience. He would tell the reporter his story which led to his last creation and taught the wonderful lesson of, “Don’t forget where you came from.”

There are some episodes within this show worth watching. Obviously, the animators took an immense amount of time creating it and is definitely out of the norm for regular animations and cartoons. Even though there were some deranged stories, they held lessons worth teaching.

About the Writer
Tiffany Pugh, Reporter

I’m bit of an introvert when you first meet me, but once you get to know me I’m very outgoing. I’m originally from Warren, Ohio. I also have a lot...