Come In To See The Outsiders

Back to Article
Back to Article

Come In To See The Outsiders

Arielle Rosenbaum

Arielle Rosenbaum

Arielle Rosenbaum

Brielle Sadorra & Staesha Tadeo-Corpuz, Staff Writers

The theatre students are set to steal the stage one final time before the school year ends. With tickets starting from $6 for students and $8 for adults, the play, “The Outsiders”, will take the stage from Wednesday, April 3rd to Saturday, April 6th at 6 P.M. with a matinee at 2 P.M. on Saturday inside the theater.

The Outsiders dates back to the 1960s and dives into the life of Ponyboy Curtis (played by junior AJ Tolentino). Ponyboy Curtis is a Greaser, just like his brothers and friends. The Greasers do not like the Socs (the rich kids) and vice versa. One night, Ponyboy and his friend Johnny were attacked by Randy (junior Antonio Musleh) and his Socs friends, which causes even more conflict between the Socs and the Greasers all seen through the eyes of Ponyboy.

“It was easier to find a connection to Ponyboy,” said Tolentino. “But at first, Ponyboy is rude and thinks the world revolves around him. It is also hard to portray such hatred from these characters with them also being from a different time period.”

Although the theatre department had little time to prepare, this spring production is important to see as it makes students aware of some of the issues that they may be dealing with. 

“The fact of perspective you see everything in a new lens,” said Tolentino, “You go on stage and become different person. It’s important that you find a show that connects to you and pulls your heart strengths.”

Auditions for “The Outsiders” began on February 21st and callbacks were the following day, February 22nd. The students auditioning for the play had to prepare a one-minute dramatic monologue for their audition.

“I was excited, it’s an amazing book and movie.” Daisy Salazar (Greaser and Nurse) said. “It’s easier to find connections and also is easier to portray the roles of the characters.” Said Antonio Musleh (Randy a Socs).

The students are more than ready to share the story about “The Outsiders” and have continuously worked hard to keep the show entertaining to their audience.  Without having much time to get everything ready, they successfully have everything set for the show.