Logging Off of Life and On to Deception

Taylor+Hill%2C+senior%2C+zoning+out+of+reality.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Logging Off of Life and On to Deception

Taylor Hill, senior, zoning out of reality.

Ana Saia, Writer

After scrolling through news-feeds on multiple social media platforms engulfing a person deeper into the internet, time becomes irrelevant and reality begins to fade. The only thing that matters is the newest Twitter trend or the number of likes one’s photo receives on Instagram. In a social media infested society, most adolescents appear to be struggling to find the healthy balance between content seen on the internet and the truth behind the posts.

When most people post on social media it’s usually a person’s best attributes of a certain moment. “It gives us unrealistic expectations of someone being something that really doesn’t exist,” said, Merrill Littleberry, psychotherapist from the University of Texas. In this way, people can develop misconceptions of the real world and begin to critique their own lives based on seemingly perfect ones on social media.

“People will come across some things that they do or do not like, and that usually affects how their day goes,” said Angeli Tuliao, senior. Often times people just happen to be having one of those days where nothing seems to go as planned. Lingering onto social platforms could be the tip of the iceberg that makes them spiral into an ominous abyss. One difficult factor when people are on social media is knowing when there is a limit to the “addiction”.

“Neurologically, being on your phone for too long is similar to people with an opioid addiction,” claims Erik Peper, associate professor of health education, and author of “Biofeedback Mastery: An Experience”. Having to constantly check for the newest posts on timelines is often an instinct amongst individuals. This is because in today’s society, people fill the awkward silences in rooms by scrolling through any social platform available to seem occupied and avoid social interactions.

An idea that has become more prevalent within the last decade is the Fear Of Missing Out (FOMO) Experience. During this experience, questions arise in one’s head when they can’t attend a particular event such as: What exactly am I missing out on? Are they having fun without me? Considering that in the past FOMO meant not going to an event due to some circumstance, it has become more dominant nowadays because of individuals documenting their actions on social platforms.

Occasionally there are beliefs that are found within social platforms that give individuals clarity of reality as well. “I’m only ever on my finsta (a second Instagram account for close friends). I like to think of it as my mental outlet to rant to my friends,” said Emmanuel Montecler, senior. One of the main reasons people continue to stay on social platforms is to stay connected with the people they know even when they are far away.

“Everything should be within moderation. People should always take precaution when logging on to any social media platform,” said Littleberry.

About the Writer
Ana Saia, writer

I'm a senior who loves reading about mystery and fiction novels. I have been playing the violin for 10 years. Important figures such as Einstein, Audrey...