A Letter to My Freshman-Self

Back to Article
Back to Article

A Letter to My Freshman-Self

Marina Gedo, Opinion Editor

Dear Freshman Marina,

In what will feel like a blink of an eye, fours years will go by and you will be a graduating senior at Desert Oasis High School.  I know it’s hard to start at a new school with only a few friends, but believe me, it will get better. You will make new friends and lose old ones, you will work out of your shyness, and achieve things you never thought you could.  Throughout these next four years, it will get easier. Here are a few lessons I have learned that will help make high school as painless as possible:

1. Do not get caught up in drama: It is not worth wasting your time and energy to get involved in drama that wasn’t yours to begin with.  This kind of stress will only weigh you down and make high school more miserable than it already is. The most important thing you need to do is focus and improve yourself.  When someone you consider a friend tries to get you mixed up in their drama, maybe it’s time to find a new friend. You do not need that kind of negativity in your life.
  2. Put yourself out there:  Be outgoing, participate in more school activities, and most of all, do not worry what others think about you.  Their opinion of you does not matter at all, during these next four years, just be yourself! Be loud at sports games, dance crazy at homecoming, and speak your mind more.  When you move to a new school, in the middle of the year, don’t be shy; go out on a limb, make more friends, smile more and just be yourself.
  3. Do not stress the little things: High school is hard enough, it’s not productive to stress about everything.  Getting a C on a math test does not affect you 3 years later. Missing one assignment because you didn’t want to do it does not define you.  These are the years you need to be careless (not too careless) and have fun (but not too much fun); I learned that too late and missed out. Make as many memories as you can.  

I wish I could have been there to tell you these things before you started high school, but in life, you live and learn.  The mistakes and lessons I have learned led me to where I am today; without them, I would be a whole different person. The things you go through these next four years will help you endure more and make you a stronger person.  I can’t wait for you to see what you will accomplish and the places you will go. Make every day an adventure.

Love,

Senior Marina

About the Writer
Marina Gedo, Opinion Editor

Hey!

I'm the Opinion Editor for The Oasis Review. I can't wait to make this year a blast!