Day of Honor

How Martin Luther King Jr. Influenced Society

Martin Luther King Jr. in August 28th, 1963 waving to the crowd of the

Martin Luther King Jr. in August 28th, 1963 waving to the crowd of the "March on Washington."

Chasity Pescado, Writer

The month of January brings great awareness to Desert Oasis and many other Clark county school district schools as Nevada chooses to celebrate Martin Luther King, Jr., a civil rights activist who strive to end racial segregation. Students honor this day by acknowledging, motivating individual rights, and strengthening their communities by creating solutions for racial justice to reach a dream King longed for.

Racial segregation during the 1950s and ‘60s put African Americans in the position of second class citizens, which lasted between 1877 and the mid-1960s. The most common types of segregation took place in public. Institutions and business owners kept blacks and whites strictly separated. 

King’s goal in issuing his notorious “Letter from a Birmingham Jail” was to address false criticisms directed against him by law enforcement, law officials, and priests. With these people denying him equality, King created a response by a public statement of concern and caution issued by eight white religious leaders of the South. 

Within this letter, King demonstrated his ways and ideals of protesting. He pushed forth for nonviolent peaceful protesting that consisted of  four basic steps: collect the facts, negotiate, self purification, and direct action. This method is still used today by activists. 

Martin Luther King Jr. was truly ahead of his time. He was one of the most important voices of the American Civil Rights movement, which strive for equal rights for all. King’s actions paved the way African Americans are treated today. He shed light on how unfairly they were treated, which created more equal opportunities for African Americans. 

It’d be a lie to say racial problems have come fully to an end, but with an inspiration such as MLK, activists are still determined to reach equality for all. For example, police brutality still takes place, riots still occur, and racial slurs are still said. These situations don’t sadly get to disappear with ease; however, pushing forth, society is by far much closer to racial justice than it was long before.